Thursday, June 14, 2007

People : Rahul @ Churchgate



This is Rahul. I have never written about people in the blog and yet this stranger I met inspired me to do it. Rahul lives at Churchgate station, Mumbai. During the day he is out on the street or so I assume. But it wasn't then that I met him.

It was late at night around 12 when I was rushing at Churchgate station. In my rush i entered the ATM at the station to withdraw money and I met him. The ATM machine kiosk was a relief from the humid damp atmosphere , so characteristic of Mumbai , during summers. And there was Rahul.
Rahul was arranging his belongings in there, next to the ATM. Like so many other people who sleep on sidewalks and slums , he seemed a little privileged, spreading his bedding in the kiosk.
Me: What's your name?
R : Rahul
Me: Can I take a picture?
R : (After a little thinking) OK
Me: Thanks (Putting the camera back in my bag)
R : Can I see the picture?
Me: Sure
R Smiles.
Au revoir.
(Yeh hai Mumbai meri jaan... I say to myself)
In the most deplorable conditions people manage to smile. In the most luxurious conditions people manage to complain. Is there any correlation between happiness and material well being?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 18, 2008 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Bineeta said...

hi vipul i came across your blog while searching for something and it was pretty interesting to read a few of your posts...it's interesting to see the way you present the little incidents of life. this one is good

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home